1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
The scene (was) a place for creative self expression and good music. You shared ideas, bands, and new styles with your friends since you were more than likely the only kids in the school with the afinity to dress wierd (albeit very brightly).
Scene Kids are not all stupid, self-indulging, camera whores.
we used to pride our selves on being different and then everyone was scene.
Yes we do love makeup and fashion and music.
A BREIF SCENE HISTORY:
The scene used to be a good thing. We used to be the select few artsy, but somewhat not depressing, kids.
We were what we were and we were very defensive about what we liked.
But then like all things that become fads, the scene was slowly picked up by other cliques.
For instace i saw a SCENE cheerleader... Thats just plain wrong.
but naturally we are disgusted by what the whores have done to the scene.
But like all fads, the scene fad will end and people will look upon it as "remember that time when everyone had crazy colored hair and skinny jeans and bright makeup?" like people look upon the eighties.
And that is my piece.
"Wow that old shool shirt is so scene."
"I love your bright makeup, its so scene."
"That girl tries too hard to be scene"
one true scene kid to another: "The freshman 'scene' chick says she need her 'nic-fix' ... what is she like 12?"
"And thats why im not scene anymore."
they also attend the weekly "emo" shows at the pavillion.
Person#2: thats katherine ! shes so scene
Person#1: does she go to the "THE SHOW"?
Person#2: DUUHHHH thats where all da scene kids GO!
However almost all of you are referring to that of the obscene; and emo categories it's a very stereotypical concept. Scene girls and boys dont say "kthxbai" they usually have a very vivid vocabulary. I'd know. "Want to be scenesters" say things like omg "NAME@THEDISCO!" or "GUNGSGOBANG" and love dinosaurs, and dots. It's basically just a word made up to describe beautiful people who have good fashion sense.. mmk?
browse through friends.
they like to be very anti-mainstream
Scene kid 2: Sweet deal, thats so like us.
Scene kid 3: check out this sweet new album!
Both 1 and 2: Dank! I've never heard of them before and they kinda suck! Thats just what we love because no one else knows who this band is!
Look how many of you have bothered to list
what a scene kid should or does look like.
All the people writing about what scene is, are most likely the fat whale wannabes who wish they looked as good
as people like "scene" kids.
Or wish that they could fit in skinnies but their rolls of fat get in the way, so they decide to take the piss instead.
"Scene kids" don't like ugly fat mank people.
Whats wrong with that?
Damn right they should.
Whats wrong with hanging around with pretty people
im sorry but i wouldnt want to hang around with someone that looked like a monkey on LSD.
I appreciate people who take pride in their appearance.
Get over yourselfs you fat c***s.
Jealousy gets you nowhere.
Tbh, punks, emos, indie kids, metal heads, the hxc kids, geeks all are clones of each other.
NO ONES ORIGINAL. ORIGINAL DOES NOT EXIST.
We all go to the same shops and buy the same things.
Fat emo whale wannabe 2: "INNIT..IM TOO KOOL LYK TO WEAR SKINNIES AND LOOK ALL COOL AND SHIT."
Scene kid: "Yeah. 'cause your a fat whale tbh mate"